In its “State of the Air 2017” report, the American Lung Association stated that Warner Robins, Georgia, and the surrounding areas had the fewest ozone days reported since they began recording them 18 years ago. The report also confirmed that the area also had its best rating for particle pollution. But homeowners beware: Just because the air outside might feel fresher doesn’t mean the air inside your home is healthy to breathe. In fact, it’s likely at least five times more polluted. Here some of the most common indoor air quality concerns and four solutions that eliminate them:
Remove Stale Air From Your Home With a Ventilator
Designed to mount onto your HVAC system or ductwork, energy recovery ventilators (ERV) bring fresh air in while exhausting stale air out of your home. To avoid overworking your HVAC system, ERVs also condition the air they bring in. As a result, your cooling or heating system doesn’t have to warm or cool that air. It’s best to use energy recovery ventilators in climates that are hot and humid in the summer, like in Warner Robins, Georgia.
- Filters the air to reduce the amount of pollutants
- Reduces humidity from the fresh air flowing into your home
Breathe Fresh Indoor Air With an Air Cleaner
Like an energy recovery ventilator, an air purifier works with your HVAC system. But instead of exhausting stale air out of your home, it cleans the air inside it. It does so by capturing 95 percent of pathogens down to .30 micron in size and using an electrical charge to kill them. As a result, you breathe healthier air that isn’t contaminated with pollen, pet dander, bacteria and other pollutants. The Infinity air purifier is effective against 13 common pathogens.
- Inactivates up to 99 percent of germs that it captures
- Protects against a common fungus known as Aspergillus versicolor
Decrease Humidity With a Dehumidifier
When you live in a locale like Warner Robins, Georgia, you suffer through hot and humid conditions throughout the summer. Those high humidity levels aren’t good for your health, comfort or HVAC system’s efficiency.
Managing your home’s humidity is important to creating a comfortable home, improving efficiency and, most importantly, protecting your health. Otherwise, you risk encouraging dust mites, mold growth and pest infestations. With a whole-home dehumidifier, you can keep your home’s humidity between 40 and 60 percent all year long.
- Can run independently of your home’s cooling system
- Has zoning capabilities and includes an air filter
Prevent Poisoning With a Carbon Monoxide Detector
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless and tasteless gas that can cause death within minutes of exposure. If your home has heating sources that burn gas, oil, wood, charcoal or kerosene, you’re at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. To reduce risk, you must maintain and use these heating sources properly, which includes professional maintenance.
Carbon monoxide is one of the leading causes of death caused by poisoning in the United States. Symptoms include dizziness, fatigue, difficulty breathing, vomiting, confusion and fainting. Eventually, the gas can make you unconscious and ultimately die. There’s one way to prevent such a horrific emergency from happening: a carbon monoxide detector.
- Install your carbon monoxide detector near your sleeping areas
- Test your carbon monoxide detector every month and change the batteries as needed
Pruett Air Conditioning offers a range of indoor air quality products and services to help you live a healthier life at home. If you’d like to schedule a duct cleaning or learn more about how you can improve your home’s air quality, contact us at 478-225-4921. We’re standing by to ensure the air you’re breathing is as clean and fresh as possible.
Image provided by Thinkstock