Reducing the energy usage in your Eastman home can reduce your utility bills, as well as help to conserve natural resources. By concentrating on three main areas, heating, cooling and lighting, you can save energy immediately by making a few simple changes.
- Have your heating system inspected at least once a year. By keeping up with its routine maintenance schedule, you can make sure your heating system is running as safely and efficiently as possible.
- Check the air filter in your heating system at least monthly, cleaning or replacing it as necessary. A clogged filter makes the system run inefficiently and can lead to increased wear and tear.
- Installing a programmable thermostat, and setting it back 15 degrees at night and when you are not at home can reduce heating costs by up to 20 percent.
- Seal air leaks in your home where wires, pipes and vents go through the exterior walls, add weatherstripping to doors and windows, and make sure your home, especially the attic, has plenty of insulation.
- Have your system checked at least once a year, check the filter regularly, and raise the temperature while you are sleeping or at work.
- Use ceiling fans and portable fans to help reduce your air conditioner usage.
- Take showers, cook and wash clothes or dishes during the evening or morning to avoid adding extra heat and humidity during the daytime.
- Close curtains or blinds during the day to help block the sun’s rays in order to avoid excess solar heat gain. If you are in an area where mornings and evenings are cool, opening your windows at those times can help to cool your home naturally.
- Replace older incandescent light bulbs with energy-efficient CFL or LED alternatives. Shut off lights that are not being used and take advantage of natural light when possible.
- Install motion sensor-equipped fixtures or switches for outdoor lights, as well as for indoor lights that are not used often.
Pruett Air Conditioning is always happy to share great energy-saving tips. For more ways to save, or for more information about our services, please call us in Warner Robins at (478)225-4921 or at (478)298-4115 in Eastman. We have been serving Eastman, Warner Robins and the surrounding areas since 1977.