Although you’re aware of the health and safety hazards in your Eastman, Georgia home, you might not be conscious of some hidden risks inside it. Supplemental heating systems, standing water and indoor air quality concerns are all hidden health and safety hazards to consider.
Space Heaters and Electric Blankets
During the winter, some people choose to supplement their heating system with space heaters and electric blankets. When you use them correctly, these two items can be beneficial in keeping your home cozy and saving on your utility bills. But when you misuse them, a space heater can cause a fire in your home and electric blankets can cause burns.
Make sure you never leave a space heater running in an empty room. Also, keep it clear from anything that can catch on fire.
Don’t use electric blankets for children or babies, and make sure the blanket is off when not in use. Also, make sure your electrical items don’t have frayed wiring.
Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors are an essential safety feature in your home, especially during the winter if you have a furnace. The problem is that people don’t always check to make sure the furnace is working correctly and assume their home is safe.
Replace the batteries before the winter starts. Test your detector regularly to make sure it’ll work properly if you do have an issue in your home.
Mold and Indoor Air Quality
Mold is unsightly and dangerous for your health. Make sure you keep an eye out for mold growth in the usual places like bathrooms and basements. Also be careful not to let any rooms get too humid or allow any sitting water in your home.
If you spot mold, it’s best to call a mold remediation specialist immediately to stop the growth and make sure it’s completely removed. Mold negatively affects your air quality, causing a host of health issues for you and your family.
If you have concerns about your HVAC system, we’re the people to call. Contact Pruett AC at 478-298-4115 to schedule an appointment today. We’re standing by to ensure your family remains healthy and safe through the holiday season.
Image provided by Shutterstock