Every year, it seems, energy prices increase and it becomes even more expensive to keep your home comfortable during the winter. The following steps will show you how to lower heating bills by making a few easy and inexpensive improvements to your home that will allow it to be heated more efficiently:
- Have the heating system serviced: Having an HVAC professional perform routine maintenance on your heating system at least once a year will keep it running smoothly and efficiently, reducing your energy usage and utility bills. Between service visits, make sure to check the system’s air filter at least once a month, and replace it or clean it when necessary.
- Install a programmable thermostat: Programmable thermostats are relatively inexpensive now, and they’re easy to install. By keeping your home at your preferred temperature while you’re home and lowering it 10 to 15 degrees while you’re at work or asleep, you can save up to 20 percent on heating bills.
- Inspect weatherstripping: Replace any weatherstripping that’s excessively worn, cracked or missing, and add weatherstripping to any doors or windows that lack it. Use caulk to seal around windows and doors.
- Adjust door thresholds: If there’s a gap between the threshold and the door, adjust the threshold or the door sweep to close the gap, if possible. Add a door sweep to doors without one.
- Seal exterior walls: Use caulk and spray foam to seal around exterior wall openings such as holes for pipes, electric wires, dryer vents or light fixtures.
- Add outlet gaskets: To prevent drafts, use foam gaskets behind the face plates of outlets and switches that are located on exterior walls.
- Install storm windows: Install storm windows, if your home has them, or use plastic film to add a secondary seal to the windows.
- Insulate the attic hatch: Add fiberglass insulation to drop-down attic stairs or hatches to reduce heat loss.
For more information about how to lower heating bills, talk to our home heating experts at Pruett Air Conditioning today. We serve Warner Robins, Eastman and the surrounding areas.